Sub-Forums

Show Design Band & Corps Music Writing Competitions Off-Topic

Feedback

Suggestion Box Report a Bug

What's Up

Joe's Work Log Announcements

Inspirational Quotes/Sayings/Ect. Band

LKendrick Jul '11
I need a quote that really hits home for the marching arts by this Friday to make a poster for my bands leadership team to hang up in our band hall, and am calling for the MML communities help! If you could provide the quote and who said it, that'd be great. I can't think of or find one that works very well.

Thanks in Advance. :)
Silver Shadow Jul '11
Without music life would be a mistake. ~Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Music is what feelings sound like. ~Author Unknown

Alas for those that never sing,
But die with all their music in them!
~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent. ~Victor Hugo

And some humor,
The Irish gave the bagpipes to the Scots as a joke, but the Scots haven't got the joke yet. ~Oliver Herford
LKendrick Jul '11
I'm kinda looking for something along the lines of pushing yourself, more about doing something great and not so much the instrumental part of it.
Connor Parrish Jul '11
hahahahahaha I like the one about the bagpipes. That one literally made me laugh out loud.

"It is not more than you can handle. It is merely more than you thought you could do." -Laura Breckenridge

It takes courage to push yourself to places that you have never been before... to test your limits... to break through barriers. - Anais Nin

Some of us are like wheelbarrows, only useful when pushed and easily upset. - Jack Herbert
Caperraticus Jul '11
Music was my refuge.
I could crawl into the space between the notes
and curl my back to loneliness.
~ Maya Angelou ~

"After silence,
that which comes closest to expressing the inexpressible
is music."
~ Aldous Huxley ~

Music expresses that which cannot be said
and on which it is impossible to be silent.
~Victor Hugo ~

Without music a party isn't a party.
~Me~ ;-)
Caperraticus Jul '11
Music isn't a career or hobby - it's a life force ... it's just something I have to do. ~Anonymous~
Jennifer Gordon captainJul '11
"Always give your personal best. The worst disappointment is having not pushed yourself a little bit harder that one day at the beginning of the season and falling short of where you wanted to be at the end of the season."-me

Kind of long, but it usually gets people to think about their actions and efforts in relation to how the season will end.
"If you can take that feel, full of joy and love in your heart and nothing else and share that love with thousand of people, we win. If you would do that, we win. You understand that in your life that's what's gonna be important. The connection you make with other human being is what is going to the find who you are and your experience on this earth, that's Hell Bent For Victory" - Dean Westman
Anthony V Jul '11
"If you're not going to do give 100% at every rehearsal and performance, then why are you here?"
"When you're at practice, you don't have to worry about cleaning up your bathroom, or your homework, or eating your lima beans. You just have to look out for the people to your left, and to your right..."
- All compliments of Mr. Lowe
trump1st24 Jul '11
"The heart and soul of every performer is fueled by the desire to take the emotion out of the crowd and replace it with the fury of the best performance of their lives" - I don't know
John Davis Jul '11
"Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer (or note!) sounds."

"After you've done it for so many years, you have to find a new direction. You have to find something in your soul that's going to push you towards - to find your inspiration."
Elvis Stojko

"And to learn, you have to be willing to push yourself." Brandi Chastain

"Directors have to push me. I have to be pushed up. Not all the time, but often."
Catherine Deneuve

"Few things in the world are more powerful than a positive push. A world of optimism and hope. A 'you can do it' when things are tough." Richard M. DeVos
Austin Arias Jul '11
"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time."
-Leonard Bernstein

"Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antennae bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback on a timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond price, almost free"
-Geddy Lee

"Truly there would be reason to go mad were it not for music."
- PI Tchaikovsky
Astrognash Jul '11
How long can this quote be? 'Cause I got a poem about band I wrote last year, and it got really, really positive comments on my DeviantArt Page. Someone even said they were gonna put it up on the door to their band room or something.

"Band is Family

Band is long hours in the hot sun
Band is the cool air on your face coming in for lunch
Band is laughter at jokes no one else would get
Band is joy, and that means family.

Band is the feeling of bliss coming off the field
Band is the pounding of Dr. Beat in your eardrums
Band is music, and music is love
Band is love, and that means family.

Band is pushups on the scorching asphalt
Band is going on when you think you can't
Band is shouting out, "Number one, sir!"
Band is never stopping believing, and that means family.

Band is take a deep breath and go
Band is reset just one more time
Band is waking up with your friends to see the perfect sunrise
Band is life, because Band is Family." - Astrognash from MML

And of course, there's always this:
"One more time." - Band Directors Everywhere
bluesky94 Jul '11
"Enthusiasm: Imagine a world without music, then run the other way." - me
jdauzreyes Jul '11
Ah music; a magic far beyond all we do here. - Dumbledore and i guess J.K. Rowling
it may not be exactly that, but i remember it from harry potter.
Gambit Jul '11
"Pushing someone isn't as effective as lifting them up"
-Brent Turner
Anthony Wolcott Jul '11
"I'm proud of you guys! All of you!"
-Terrace Ellis
Danger Dan Jul '11
"There is no finish line."
Something my band director use to say.